Economic and geopolitical changes have given rise to technological developments in naval shipbuilding to support stealth capability, enemy detection, and precision strike weapon systems. In addition, two technology drivers are transforming warship architecture: propulsion and powering (especially all-electric drive systems), and digitalization, which includes big data, communications, sensors and robotics. In fact, unmanned drones may soon result in the emergence of a new class of warship.
These recent trends, and technical drivers are highly cable dependent, since cables provide the vital energy, sinew and nerve systems essential to successful naval operations.
Europe, the United States, Asia and many developing nations are looking to enlarge their fleets, often with high-tech ships that reflect the shift to littoral operations, intelligence-gathering and electronic warfare.
Some self-sufficient countries (US) are now looking overseas for shipbuilders and suppliers. In Europe, there is a trend towards international cooperation and heightened export activities.
Today's navies are seeking ways to customize their warships, stretch their life spans, and apply new systems and technologies to improve combat effectiveness and reduce crew requirements.
What naval contractors and their suppliers expect of a cable manufacturer:
- A full range of cables to cover increasing warship complexity
- Ability to meet all naval specifications, plus interoperability
- Expertise in energy and telecommunications
- System and subsystem development
- Innovations for defense electronics and networkcentric warfare
- Quality and reliability to increase the life cycle of platforms
- Combat survival through electronic discretion, fire-safety, shock-resistance, redundancy
- Approved supplier status, product availability, on-time delivery, maintenance training
Because cables play a key role in vessels, Nexans' enhanced cable solutions and services will contribute to your warship's operational and combat effectiveness.
To answer these challenges, Nexans provides a complete range of cables and accessories for Navy market.
Select your country to find our products and solutions
- Ivory Coast
- North West Africa