A combination of circumstances is providing tremendous stimulus to the world’s Urban Mass Transit systems: pollution, energy concerns, urbanization, congestion, economic development, and the desire for a better quality of life. Everywhere on the planet, urban and suburban transport systems are being built, upgraded or expanded.
Urban rail is dependent on the quality of the infrastructure that supports it, including cables and cabling systems for power, signalling and telecommunications. You, as an operator, want sustainable Urban Mass Transit which means moving the maximum number of people safely through the network in a comfortable, reliable and cost-effective way, one that is “accessible, safe, environmentally-friendly, and affordable,” in the words of the International Transport Forum.
What Mass Transit operators expect:
- Improved fire-performance in tunnels, stations and public areas
- Reliability through quality input at all levels, and system redundancy
- Higher passenger capacity through Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC)
- SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition), signalling and LAN infrastructure
- Worldwide certification, project planning resources, and post-installation support
- On-time delivery, conformity to specs, variable flow provisioning
- Modular, upgradeable solutions and lower operating/maintenance costs
To answer these challenges, Nexans provides a complete range of cables and accessories for all of your urban mass transit projects.
Safe and reliable cable infrastructure
Nexans produces a wide choice of power, signalling and telecommunications cables and components, specifically adapted to Urban Mass Transit infrastructures for subways, light rail, tramways and automated people movers.
- Medium and low-voltage power and feeder cables include vital accessories.
- In addition to signalling and control cables, Nexans also provides axle counter and latest-generation balise cables.
- For advanced telecommunications and train control, Nexans offers traditional communications, radiating and data cables and optical fiber/copper cables to support Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs) for Centralized Traffic Control.
- In public areas and tunnels, virtually all cables are Low Fire Hazard (LFH) cable, meaning that they are fireretardant, and assure low toxicity and minimal smoke to enhance survival, firefighting and emergency operations.
Nexans also advises operators about evolving specifications and standards, provides customized engineering, ensures local content and technology transfers, and has a long tradition of working with preferred suppliers and prime contractors on international Urban Mass Transit megaprojects. We are engaged in ongoing R&D to keep all products competitive, compatible and environmentally-friendly.
Nexans for safety, performance and comfort:
- All power, signalling and telecommunications cables and components
- Advanced characteristics, like EMC, fire-performance and waterproofing
- European-based expertise for metros and tramways worldwide
- Complete train control cabling for Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC)
- Custom engineering for country-specific and technological challenges (e.g. Maglev)
- Innovative cables and installation for trackside, tunnels and stations
- Open standards, interoperability and international delivery logistics
- Full support, from R&D and design to maintenance and training.
Select your country to find our products and solutions