United to raise awareness about breast cancer and men’s healthDec 13, 2022
For many years now, Nexans, in the frame of the WiN (We in Nexans) network dedicated to Diversity and Inclusion, is participating in two important worldwide events called Pink October and Movember, to respectively raise awareness about breast cancer and men’s health (prostate/testicular cancer and suicide issues).
In addition to a global branding and communication campaign, local initiatives at Business Groups or sites level are planned all around the world for 2 months. The Industry Solutions & Projects (ISP) Business Group organized for the second year in a row the ISP CARE sports challenge to raise fund for the 2 causes. Last year, over 200 people from 11 countries and 22 sites ran 5,943 km and cycled 9,110 km to raise funds for Curie Institute and Movember.com. This year, the challenge included also swimming. Over 260 people registered, 34% more than last year.
Pink October, a living tradition within Nexans
In most of Nexans plants the management team delivered pink ribbons and chose specific days to wear Pink during all October month. Unfortunately, because cancer can touch anyone, some Nexans employees or family members shared their own experience about cancer in Canada and Korea.
- In Australia, Denmark, Ghana, USA, Turkey… funds were raised via different initiatives to donate to foundations and hospitals. In Lebanon and Germany, wellbeing sessions were organized, including yoga, meditation, and relaxation activities to relieve stress, a key factor behind many diseases.
- Conferences animated by oncologists, radiologists, psychologists took place in Brazil, Morocco, Norway, and Qatar to sensitize employees to the importance of breast cancer screening to highlight early diagnosis. In Italy after a prevention speech and a Q&A session, the doctor even made medical exams and mammograms. In Nexans’ headquarter, a conference about “Cancer and physical exercise” was held in partnership with Institut Curie in the presence of Dr Lidia Delrieu, Post-Doctoral Researcher, expert in epidemiology and E-Health.
- Employees participated in official running events like the Odyssea Run in Paris with a record participation of 40 participants. The plant of Autun in France was this year again partner of the “Autun Gazelle”. The registration fees for this running race were donated to the league against cancer. In Canada, teams from Montreal, Markham and Weyburn sites participated and raised funds on the occasion of “CIBC Run for the Cure”.
SponsorshipJun 7, 2021
Movember, let’s grow a mustache to talk about men’s health!
Movember is a more recent initiative within Nexans’ world. These 2 past years the WiN network started slowly with a promotion campaign to encourage male employees to grow a moustache to raise awareness about men’s physical and mental health.
- In 2022 all sites were invited to a virtual talk lead by a doctor and a psychologist called “Cancer & Mental Health”, where awareness was raised on prostate cancer.
- Locally, In Brazil for example, a video the children of some of the employees to remind their fathers how their health is important was released widely.
- In Ghana, the WiN team delivered weekly news about Prostate cancer through their newsletter, they organized a health talk by “Doctors In Service” around ‘’Prostate Cancer & Stress management’’, and all men on site signed a commitment board to take care of their health.
- In the Andean Business Unit, a prevention campaign was displayed on the screens of all plants. A photo session with the symbol that characterizes this month and activity, the famous "moustache", was organized.
Select your country to find our products and solutions