MARKETPower networks - Subsea
- The Zanzibar authorities needed to supply power to Pemba – the second largest island in the Zanzibar archipelago.
- The project was co-financed by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Norplan was the technical consultant for the work on behalf of end-customer ZECO.
- The new connection was to replace three diesel generators and contribute to economic and social development on Pemba through sustainable energy.
- With a power connection, Pemba would be able to develop its tourist industry.
- The 36 kV XLPE cable was manufactured in Halden, and transported and installed by the C/S Nexans Skagerrak cable laying vessel.
- The cable was laid from Tanga, on the Tanzanian mainland, to Pemba in 2010. It was installed under challenging conditions at a record depth of 850 meters.
Select your country to find our products and solutions
- Ivory Coast
- North West Africa