Longest 500 kV underground link between two Shanghai substations
PARTNERSHIPCity of Shanghaï
MARKETPower networks - Land HV
- Nexans manufactured and installed a 17-km 500 kV underground power cable circuit between Shibo and Sanlin substations in Shanghai, the first intra-city cable of this size using XLPE insulation.
- Time was a factor, since new infrastructure was being installed for the 2010 Shanghai World Expo.
- The underground tunnel zigzagged across the city requiring over 100 perfect joints, and had to pass under the Huangpu River.
- Population density required careful planning and logistics.
- Training was important for future maintenance.
- Three separate 17 km lengths were laid within the cable tunnel.
- For the cable, a metallic screen was used in smooth laminated aluminum, which was a much lighter solution than conventional lead.
- The cable was drawn in record time using computer control.
- Nexans fully supervised the project and provided extensive training in our Training Center
“ The project will be a major reference in our future relationships with China and Asia in general, where competition is particularly fierce. Nexans is proud to contribute to the development of energy infrastructures in China and to innovate by installing a 500kV power cable in the city, considering the demand for such cables will only increase considering the rising demand in the region. ”
Select your country to find our products and solutions