France 2030: Enabling the Energy Transition
Nexans is fully aligned with the objectives of France 2030 – the Élysée’s roadmap for green technology, innovation and industrial revival.
The ambitions set out in the France 2030 plan are huge. Sustainability is at the top of the agenda, with €12 billion dedicated to green power generation, low-carbon transport and industrial decarbonisation. All of this will accelerate the shift to net zero.
Power grids in the spotlight
Building a greener energy system means addressing three objectives. The first is deploying low-carbon generation. The second is changing the way that energy is consumed. The third dimension – equally important – is linking generation and consumption. This vital role is performed by electricity grids for transmission and distribution.
Electricity grids are the backbone of the energy system – and they have been for nearly a century. But over the next decade, they are going to become more important than ever.
There are two reasons for this. First, more and more “final energy” will be delivered in the form of electricity, instead of gas, diesel, petrol or kerosene. As decarbonized electricity becomes the number-one power source, grid reliability will become critical.
Second, electricity demand is going to increase enormously in the years ahead. To put this in perspective, 20% more electricity will be needed by 2030 and 40% by 2050 if net zero is to be achieved.
All of this means that power grids will need to be expanded and upgraded. How can this be achieved quickly, safely and affordably?
Nexans is working at the cutting edge of technology to accelerate the transition to a low-carbon economy. To achieve this, we are dedicating 100% of our R&D to delivering the energy transition. Examples of our work include:
- Cabling systems innovations: Nexans’ dynamic cables are enabling a new generation of floating renewable energy power, while our superconducting solutions are set to revolutionise power delivery in cities. Meanwhile, subsea innovation paves the way to ever more ambitious projects to link regions and nations.
- Digital transformation: Nexans is leveraging the Internet of Things (IoT), data analytics and cloud to deliver new services. Electrical grids is becoming digital. Our digital twin solution for grids helps customers to boost returns by up to 20%. And our IoT solutions revolutionise project delivery, as well as providing life-long protection for critical assets.
- Our partnerships: innovation is all about collaboration. Through our Amplify initiative, Nexans is partnering with top technology and business players, including Bureau Veritas, Cosmo Tech, Microsoft, Orange Business Services and Schneider Electric, to deliver the next generation of customer-centric solutions.
In my following blogs, we will discover how Nexans’ innovations are transforming every part of the energy system – from generation to transmission, distribution and usage.
Select your country to find our products and solutions
- Central Europe
- France - Power Accessories
- Germany - Cryogenic Systems
- Italy Intercond
- Sweden - Axjo Kabel
- UK - Eshop
- UK - Power Accessories