Safe refining and petrochemical processing require lead-free HYPRON® cables
Refineries and petrochemical plants depend on a wide range of cables. In fact there are approximately 3,000 km of them in a typical plant. These cables have to survive in an environment where there are serious risks of damage due to the penetration of chemical products (acids, bases, aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons). That is why they were traditionally covered with a lead sheath and buried to assure plant safety and process continuity.
Nexans HYPRON® cables are an environmentally-friendly alternative to traditional lead-sheathed cables. The technology took five years to develop, and consists of three concentric, co-extruded sheaths working together to provide three important characteristics:
- The inner aluminum polyethylene (AluPE) tape for watertightness
- High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) sheath for resistance to inorganic chemicals (chlorine, synthetic oils)
- Polyamide (PA) for resistance to organic chemicals (aromatics, benzene, petrol, oil, etc.)
HYPRON® technology can be used on a full range of refinery/petrochemical cables:
- energy cables
- control, instrumentation and compensation cables
- communication cables
These cables are especially tough, resistant, and nearly indestructible because of the excellent adhesion between the three extruded protective layers.
All HYPRON® cables can be customized to offer fire-reaction (reduced flammability, fire spread, heat release smoke emission and toxicity) and fire-resistance (electrical continuity under fire conditions), the latter achieved by Nexans patented INFIT™ technology. In the event of a fire, INFIT™ insulations are transformed into a tough ceramic jacket to assure circuit integrity and keep alarms, exit lighting, elevators, pumps, public address systems and fans operating. Cables can also be protected against rodents, UV, sulfur, etc.
Benefits of Nexans HYPRON® lead-free cables
- eco-friendly cable solutions that meet international standards
- costs up to 20% less than traditional lead-sheathed cables
- more compact for higher plant network density
- up to 45% lighter for easier transportation, storage and installation
- no lead joints, for easier connection and longer cable runs
- protection equal to lead, with a minimum of 25-30 year longevity
- ability to withstand scorching temperatures of up to 87°C
- can be specially armored and customized to requirements