Secure power overhead lines transmission
Optimizing your aerial transmission network through high-performance cabling solutions
With electrical power consumption growing continuously worldwide, utilities and Transmission System Operators (TSOs) are faced with increasing congestion management, overloading, bottlenecks, seasonal peeks of demand and even costly blackouts. It is therefore becoming essential to upgrade the existing network and/or to expand it with new lines to improve the reliability.
Refurbishment and upgrade of existing lines
Transmission network planners want to re-use existing towers and installations to save money and time, and avoid very long right-of-way authorizations.
Therefore you need :
- improved OHL with new conductors that can deliver higher ampacity allowing better adaptation to seasonal peeks,
- operate safely at higher temperatures, without straining towers and pylons, or generating dangerous sag,
- realtime monitoring systems, installed directly on the lines, to further improve the operating capacity and reliability of the network.
New lines and interconnections
To achieve higher capacity with reduced capital investment, it is now feasible to use fewer towers and longer conductor spans. This means incorporating the latest generation of carbon core conductors : these are lighter, offer higher mechanical strength, and can operate at higher temperatures.
What you expect from a conductor expert:
- Global solutions to assure a long life cycle and easy upgrades
- Own and trustfull R+D department searching for the most efficient and suitable materials
- Engineering support in network design, conductor type selection and line monitoring
- Wide range of fully-tested conductors, compatible fittings and hardware for safe operations
- Training and on site supervison during installation
- Installation friendly solutions
- Maximizing the cost efficiency rate
- Integration of solutions for a secure and reliable “meshed” grid
- World references for optimized power line projects
Integrated solutions for high capacity and reliability
Nexans does more than just sell bare conductors to connect two points for aerial transmission; it offers highly integrated solutions that optimize your power network for years to come, while assuring its evolution to meet the growing energy needs of your customers; taylor made design suiting the demand from each customer.
Phase 1. Our enriched offer begins with preliminary studies which take into account fundamental parameters, like designed capacity, environmental limitations, system losses, operating and maintenance costs, reliability and upgradeability to determine a target network configuration.
Phase 2. For upgrading, uprating and creating new networks, Nexans recommends the use of High-End conductors which add value for the customer by offering a wide choice of enhanced conductors, incorporating special alloys and/or composite materials and with advanced designs that allow:
- improved capacity and less energy losses respecting existing infrastructures
- improved capacity and lower sag respecting existing infrastructures
- fewer and lower towers and/or longer distances between them
Phase 3. Our complete system solutions are validated with worldwide hardware and fittings manufacturers and standards, coming with fully compatible accessories, and detailed stringing and laying instructions. We can even propose stringing or laying supervision with local or international partners.
Phase 4. On existing lines for upgrades or for new installed lines, our CAT-1 Transmission Line Monitoring System provides real-time monitoring of the actual capabilities of the overhead transmission lines by measuring mechanical tension at the dead-ends of the conductor and local weather parameters, and feeding the information on additional capacity and time until maximum sag is reached back to your Network Control Center for increased efficiency, safety and reliability.
Phase 5. As an environmentally responsible company (ISO14001), we can also manage the recycling of old conductors by removing them after Nexans’ High-End conductors are installed.
Phase 6. Nexans continues to safeguard your future by ongoing innovation in overhead design, and providing a continuous supply of products from our plants around the world, and contributing with our monitoring systems to obtain the best operational results for your network.
Select your country to find our products and solutions