LOCATIONFinland & Sweden
MARKETPower networks - Subsea
- A subsea power transmission cable between southern Finland and Sweden following a 200 km long route over the Bay of Bothnia.
- It constitutes a bipole together with the existing 550 MW, 400 kV FennoSkan connection, in operation since in 1989.
- The customer wanted to improve capacity in the Nordic power market and to reduce losses in the Nordic transmission grids at the same time as improving power system reliability.
- The FennoSkan 2 should provide a 40 percent increase in the power transmission capacity between the two countries.
- The HVDC cable was approx. 200 km long with a capacity of 800 MW and 500 kV.
- With a copper cross-section of 2000 mm2, this was the largest HVDC cable produced by Nexans at the time of installation .
- The cable was supplied in two continuous lengths of around 100 km each, requiring just a single splice offshore.
- Laying of the cable was carried out in 2011 by use of C/S Nexans Skagerrak and the cable was protected by use of Nexans' Capjet system.
Select your country to find our products and solutions
- Central Europe
- France - Power Accessories
- Germany - Cryogenic Systems
- Italy Intercond
- Sweden - Axjo Kabel
- UK - Eshop
- UK - Power Accessories