National Grid’s Dorset VIP project
PARTNERSHIPMorgan Sindall Infrastructure
MARKETPower networks - Land HV
Dorset VIP - The Contract
Nexans cables take power underground to restore the natural beauty of England’s countryside.
- Nexans has been awarded a 35-million-euro contract to supply HV cables to Morgan Sindall Infrastructure as part of National Grid’s Dorset VIP project.
- The project involves replacing overhead lines with Nexans’ underground high voltage cables to enable 22 pylons to be removed
- Nexans is supplying over 100 km of specialized copper-core HV XLPE cable, to create two 3-phase circuits, each with two cables per phase. Nexans is also providing accessories and jointing services
- Construction work on the project will start in spring 2019 and will take up to three years to complete, including the removal of the existing line and pylons
Dorset VIP - The Project
The Visual Impact Provision project in the Dorset Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) aims to reduce the visual impact of National Grid’s overhead line near the villages of Martinstown and Winterbourne Abbas.
Undergrounding the cable represents a major opportunity to conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and environmental heritage of this precious Dorset landscape.
The project will focus on reducing the visual impact of an existing 8.8 km section of 400 kV overhead line, replacing it with underground cabling and enabling 22 pylons to be removed. It also includes the construction of two new sealing end compounds required to connect the new underground cables to the remaining overhead line.
To know more, visit the dedicated pages at National Grid:
“ We are delighted to be involved in this key National Grid project to demonstrate the capability of our underground cables to mitigate the visual impact of HV power links.
Nexans has been deeply involved with Morgan Sindall Infrastructure from the start of the project design process and we have already reached the stage where the cable system is being further refined and optimized. ”
Laurent GuillauminNexans Business Development Director UK/Ireland Subsea and Land Systems
Select your country to find our products and solutions
- Central Europe
- France - Power Accessories
- Germany - Cryogenic Systems
- Italy Intercond
- Sweden - Axjo Kabel
- UK - Eshop
- UK - Power Accessories