Partial undergrounding of overhead lines at sensitive sections
MARKETPower networks - Land HV
Amprion operates a transmission grid of about 11,000 km to enable the transmission of electricity for more than 29 million people across an area from Lower Saxony down to the Alps. While the majority of its HV routes comprise overhead lines, at certain environmentally sensitive sections Amprion is taking the route underground.
- As part of the 'Energiewende', German TSO's, such as Amprion, need to upgrade their high voltage power transmission networks to transport electricity generated by wind farms in the north over long distances to the main areas of consumption in the south.
- Amprion wants to take a key section of its 400 kV transmission network underground
- Nexans is playing a key role in this project by supplying cables that will enable Amprion to take its overhead lines underground at sensitive sections of the route.
- Nexans was involved in Amprion’s pilot partial undergrounding project at Raesfield, and is now supplying 31.8 km of 400 kV cable for a major project at Legden on the route between Wesel and Meppen. The 5.2 km Legden route is made up of 2.1 km of tunnel and 3.1 km of pipes. Nexans is supplying the cable for one double circuit with a 2500 mm2 copper cross-section. The section of cable installed in the tunnel will feature a halogen-free flame-retardant (HFFR) sheath and Nexans is also providing the steel support structures.
- Delivery of the cables is scheduled for July 2022, with installation completed in 2023
“ This major contract for Amprion is a very important reference for the partial undergrounding concept that Nexans has pioneered, TSO's no longer have to make an either-or choice between overhead lines or underground cables. Instead they can specify the most appropriate technology to meet their environmental and financial objectives appropriate for each section of their transmission routes. ”
Ralf-Michael MengerSales Manager Subsea and Land Systems
Select your country to find our products and solutions
- Central Europe
- France - Power Accessories
- Germany - Cryogenic Systems
- Italy Intercond
- Sweden - Axjo Kabel
- UK - Eshop
- UK - Power Accessories