High-performance trains need efficient infrastructure
Rail transportation is very dependent on the quality of the infrastructure that supports it, and that includes cables and cabling systems for telecommunications and energy. Modern high-speed trains demand cables with different characteristics in terms of bandwidth, safety, electromagnetic immunity and resistance.
A definite trend is interoperability, which allows trains to move easily across borders and even continents. Here, too, cables must comply with the new consolidated ERTMS/ETCS standards which are progressively integrating GSM-R radio technologies for train control, while continuing to rely on older route control systems (relay interlocking) for safety and redundancy.
Indeed, safety has become a prime concern for the world’s rail operators, and there is a demand not only for more reliable operating systems, but also for materials with improved fire-performance characteristics, especially in tunnels, stations and public areas. Urban mass transit, subways, fully-automated metros, light rail suburban lines and trams are experiencing substantial growth, especially in Asia. Each rail mode has its own cable needs.
What railway operators expect of a cable manufacturer
- Range of high-quality cables from one supplier
- Mastery of energy, data and radio-based technologies
- Installation for mainline, mass transit, tunnels, right-of-ways, etc.
- Enhanced fire performance for public and infrastructure safety
- Interoperability, open standards, and worldwide compliance
- Cable efficiency, compactness, lightness, and resistance
- Low costs, minimum maintenance, easy upgrades
To answer these challenges, Nexans provides a complete range of cables and accessories for all of your railway networks projects.
Nexans helps you create the network you need for growth
Nexans produces a wide choice of power, signalling and telecommunications cables and components, specifically adapted to evolving rail infrastructures.
In public areas and tunnels, virtually all of these cables are halogen-free, as well as flame-retardant, and thus assure low toxicity and minimal smoke to enhance survival, firefighting and emergency operations.
For advanced telecommunications and train control, Nexans covers Wide Area Networks (main line); Metropolitan Area Networks for subways, light rail and intercity arrivals/departures; and station range outdoor cables for efficient rail management.
Nexans provides trunk line and radio system optical fiber for multileveled analogue and digital railway applications (ERTMS/ETCS).
Nexans also advises operators about evolving specifications and standards, and provides customized engineering, turnkey installation and maintenance anywhere in the world. We are engaged in ongoing R&D to keep all products competitive, compatible with modern standards and environmentally-friendly.
Nexans for safety, performance and comfort:
- All power, signalling and telecommunications cables and components for all infrastructure needs
- Advanced characteristics, EM immunity and high fire-performance
- European-based expertise for high-speed trains worldwide
- End-to-end turnkey systems for mainline and mass transit
- Complete train control cabling, from standard solutions to ERTMS/ETCS
- Custom engineering for country-specific challenges
- Innovative installation for trackside, tunnels and stations
- Open standards, interoperability and international delivery logistics
- Present along the value chain, from R&D and design to maintenance and training
Select your country to find our products and solutions
- Central Europe
- France - Power Accessories
- Germany - Cryogenic Systems
- Italy Intercond
- Sweden - Axjo Kabel
- UK - Eshop
- UK - Power Accessories